Dog Friendly Businesses Near and Far
We live in a world of animal lovers – and dog owners never miss a chance to take their favorite pooches with them wherever they go. Fortunately, many business and public places are embracing our canine companions by providing dog friendly spaces for well-behaved Fidos.
If you plan on sipping a cold brew on a dog-welcoming patio, playing fetch at a local dog park, or going for a walk downtown with your four-legged, here are some tips to help you find those great dog friendly spots.
What Makes a Business Dog Friendly?
Considering roughly 35-45% of households have dogs, businesses are really responding to this trend with more dining options and lodging that accommodates pets. Certainly some types of businesses may not be appropriate for our fur friends, but those that are often have great incentives for pets, such as:
- Space that’s shaded/protected where dogs and their owners can hang out together
- Secure and supervised areas where dogs can play while owners are dining or shopping
- Treats such as small dog biscuits or puppy popsicles for hot days
- Plenty of fresh water (although we recommend bringing your own bowl and water)
- Special days or weekends that are dog friendly (such as at a botanical garden or zoo)
- Specific activities or events geared toward dogs
- Products that appeal to dog owners (promo items like bandanas, frisbees, etc.)
- Clear rules that ensure everyone’s safety (pets must be trained, socialized, and vaccinated)
The key to having a great time with your dog pal is to make sure he or she is ready for such an experience. Be vigilant about your pet’s wellness needs. If you’re in doubt about anything, please call Animal Family Veterinary Care Center to schedule an appointment.
Local Dog Friendly Spots
If you and your furry friend plan on spending some quality time together here in Davenport or a nearby community, we have some great options. Check out the following dog friendly venues:
- The back patio at Front Street Brewery
- The large deck with a Duck Creek view at Treehouse Pub and Eatery
- Pet supply stores including Petco and PetSmart
- Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn
- La Quinta Inn
- Vander Veer Botanical Park
- Off leash dog park at Centennial Park
- Riverside picnic tables at Big Dave & Holly’s
Of course, there are numerous walking routes in the Quad Cities region, as well as plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation. There are so many ways to spend quality time with your pet, and now is the perfect time to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather.
Did we forget any of your dog friendly favorites? If so, let us know by posting on our Facebook page or giving us a call. We’d love to hear from you!