Real Suggestions For Pet Weight Loss
Yeah we’re talking about you!
Well OK, we’re actually talking about your cat or maybe your dog. The fact is we seem to have a problem in this country. We don’t seem to be satisfied with just making ourselves fat and unhealthy so now we’ve gone and done it to our pets as well.
So just who are these fatties? Well, they account for 57% of the cats and 45% of the dogs in the US. At Animal Family, we even battle the bulge with our very own clinic cats Puck and Prince.
The problem is you’ve heard this all before haven’t you? Yet even more stale statistics: hit the snooze button and tune out. Well this time we aren’t just lecturing at you. Our very own Doctor Rob has come up with a plan to help you manage your pet’s weight.
What is the first key to weight loss? Yep, it’s the SCALE!! Is it our enemy? Is it our friend? The truth is if you are going to manage your pet’s weight loss, you have to get them on the scale. It is the most sensitive tool you have to measure success and it’s FREE.
- Weigh your pet weekly
- Yes, they need to lose weight but not too much too fast. This is especially true with cats.
- Use a digital scale that measures in 0.1 to 0.2 pound increments. This will work best with the small dogs and cats.
- For big dogs you can either bring them into the clinic or weigh yourself and then the two of you. Subtract you and what you have left should be your pet’s weight.
- If you own a Wii Fit Plus, it comes with a scale function and method to track weight in people and pets.
- Write down your pet’s weight. You need to chart your progress.
- If you have questions, call us. Nobody gets kicked off of this island.
Tune in next week when we will get down to the nitty gritty of what to feed, how much to feed and suggestions for increasing your pet’s activity level.