Posts Tagged: fun animal facts
If you think your pet is amazing wait until you read some of the fun facts we have complied.
- According to a UK insurance company the most accident prone breed on the other side of the pond is the Labrador followed by Staffordshire Terriers, Rottweilers, Springer Spaniels and German Shepherds. The least accident prone is the apparently very careful Shih Tzu.
- VPI Insurance listed one of their oddest claims as Harley the Pug who managed to eat 100 rocks. Fortunately Harley was able to pass them all on his own.
- Baxter the cat, another VPI all star, fell 11 stories from the window of his home and still lived to meow another day.
- The longest jump ever recorded on land for a dog was in England where a greyhound jumped 30 feet and over a gate while chasing down a hare. A Chesapeake Bay retriever made the longest Dock Dog Jump when he flew 28 feet in a California competition.
- Did you know that while dogs produce about 10 – 15 different vocal sounds cats can make over 100 distinct vocalizations.
- We all love dogs and cats but guess what the most common mammal is? If you guessed rodents, you are correct. Mice and rats out number us humans and our pets.
- Are you afraid of spiders? You may want to try harder to like them. In a single year, spiders consume more pounds of insects than the weight of the entire human population.
- Don’t like snakes? You might want to move to Antarctica. That is the only place where there are no reptiles.
- The flea that bites your pet can consume up to 15 times its weight in blood each day. It can live on average, from 2 – 7 months and if it’s a she lay up to 400 eggs in her lifetime.
- The tallest living dog in the world is a Great Dane who stands at 43 inches or over 3 and ½ feet tall.
- The tiniest, according to Guinness is a 4 inch tall Chihuahua in Kentucky.
- The heaviest dog is an English Mastiff who weighs in at 282 pounds.
- You think you hate the flu? Think about how frogs must feel. When they need to vomit they have to expel their entire stomach, manually remove the contents and then swallow the stomach back down again.
- Finally, depending on the source, it’s claimed that the average cow can produce anywhere from 400 to 1000 liters of methane gas daily and you thought your husband was bad.
We tried to validate all of the information included in this blog. If there was a Guinness World record we used that.